Withdrawal Policies

Withdrawal from the University 

Effective Fall 2019 – A student who withdraws from the University prior to the midpoint will receive a grade of W in all courses in which he/she is enrolled.  A student who withdraws from the University after the midpoint will receive a grade of WF.  Any student who takes at least one face-to-face course on the Fort Valley State University’s main campus , must complete the withdrawal process in person.  Students enrolled in online or distance programs may submit their request to withdraw through the Office of the Registrar at registrar1@fvsu.edu.  Once a completed request to withdraw is submitted, the student will have until 5:00 pm the following day to stop the process by submitting an email to registar1@fvsu.edu.  Students who have withdrawn from the University must apply for readmission through the Office of the Registrar.

Involuntary Withdrawal

Students are expected to observe all policies governing a class. Faculty will clearly state the policies in the course syllabus each semester. A faculty member is eligible to involuntary withdraw a student after the mid-point if a student is in violation of one or more of the class policies (missed required assignments or excessive absences). A grade of “WF” will be assigned and is treated as an F for GPA calculation purposes. Students are responsible for withdrawing up to the semester mid-point deadline and be eligible for a grade of “W” unless the student has exceeded the limit of withdrawals (18 semester hours of course withdrawals). Faculty involuntary withdrawing a student after the mid-point must complete an Involuntary Withdrawal Form and submit for final approval by the Vice President for Academic Affairs. The Involuntary Withdrawal will be processed by the Office of the Registrar and the student and faculty member submitting a request will be notified by FVSU e-mail. Students involuntarily withdrawn are ineligible for a refund.

Medical Withdrawal Policy

A student may be administratively withdrawn from the University when, in the judgment of the Vice Provost for Student Affairs and Enrollment Management, and after presentation of medical documentation, it is determined that the student suffers from a physical, mental, emotional or psychological health condition which: (1) poses a significant danger or threat of physical harm to the student or to the person or property of others or (2) causes the student to interfere with the rights of other members of the University or its personnel or (3) causes the student to be unable to meet institutional requirements for admission and continued enrollment, as defined in the student Code of Conduct and other publications of the University.

Except in emergency situations, a student shall, upon request, be accorded an appropriate hearing prior to a final decision being rendered regarding his/her continued enrollment at the University.

Military Withdrawal  

A student who is on active duty or is a military reservist (including members of the National Guard) may withdraw from the University if called for active duty or reassignment. The student must officially withdraw and submit Official Orders to Active Duty to the Office of Student Affairs within three (3) working weeks of actual receipt of said orders. The student is not eligible for a military withdrawal in any course in which the student has completed the course requirements (for example, taking the final exam or submitting the final paper) and/or a final grade has been assigned. Students who withdraw and receive a full tuition refund will receive a grade of “WM” (military withdrawal) for all courses from which the student has withdrawn.

Unofficial Withdrawal

Students, who cease attending all classes without officially withdrawing and students who earn no earned hours in a semester are considered unofficially withdrawn from the university. Upon submission of final grades for a term, instructors are required to indicate the last day of attendance for students in which grades of I, IP, F or U are recorded. In compliance with Title IV regulations for unofficial withdrawals, students who have received grades with no earned hours in all classes will be considered as unofficially withdrawn from the University and reported as such.  An R2T4 calculation must be completed by the Office of Financial Aid.  Based on the students’ last date of attendance provided by the Office of the Registrar, the student will be responsible for any and all funds due back to the Department of Education.