Residential Status

A Georgia resident is a U.S. citizen who has been legally domiciled in the state continuously for not less than 12 months before the date of registration. It is expected that the person will maintain continuous residence in the state of Georgia even during periods when he/she is not enrolled at the University. Evidence that Georgia is a student’s legal residence may be provided using one of the following:

  • Payment of Georgia income taxes (Georgia Form 500 from previous year);
  • Payment of property (ad valorem) taxes;
  • Ownership of home or real estate property;
  • Long-term military commitment in Georgia;
  • Admission to a licensed practicing profession in Georgia.

Changing Resident Status

Students who are not legal residents of Georgia are required to pay non-resident rates (except for fully online classes). If their visas or parents’ states of legal residence change, students may file a petition for changing their residence status. The burden of proof is the student’s responsibility. Supporting documentation must be filed at least one month in advance of the semester in which enrollment with a change in residence status is desired. Failure to meet this deadline does not guarantee that a decision will be made in time for registration. If the residence petition is approved, classification as a legal resident for fee payment purposes will not be retroactive to previous periods of enrollment. The Petition for Georgia Residence Classification can be obtained for the Office of Admissions.

Regents’ policies do not recognize the following as evidence of residency: voter registration card, leases for living quarters, automobile registration, addresses on driver’s licenses, in state bank accounts, or positions in which students are often employed.

Military Personnel

Fort Valley State University may waive out-of-state tuition and assess in-state tuition for military personnel and members of the Georgia National Guard, their spouses, and their dependent children stationed in Georgia and on active duty. The waiver can be retained by the military personnel, their spouses, and their dependent children if the military sponsor is reassigned outside of Georgia, as long as the student(s) remain(s) continuously enrolled, and the military sponsor remains on active military status.” (Board of Regents Policy Manual, Section 704.041) Note: It is advisable to request the waiver immediately upon applying.