As part of the FVSU contingency plan to address the COVID-19 situation, the Online Learning Department has developed the following plan to quickly prepare courses for online delivery. NOTE: this is not intended to be a comprehensive method for developing online courses/units, but is a single, effective manner to quickly prepare and deliver instruction online.
For those who are new to online learning and/or D2L, we recommend the following steps:
- Log into D2L (https://fvsu.view.usg.edu) using your standard FVSU credentials.
- Select 1 of your courses in which to create a lesson.
- Create an announcement with lesson directions and guidance for your students.
- Create a discussion and/or assignment to accompany your lesson.
- (Optional) Create a Collaborate “room” for class video conferencing.
For guided assistance, use the following steps and resources.
Before you begin
Step 1 – Access and Preparation
- Using your standard FVSU credentials, log into D2L. If you experience problems with your login, contact the IT Helpdesk (478-825-6228). Video Tutorial – D2L Login
- Select the icon in the top menu. Select 1 of your courses from your list of classes to prepare your first lesson.
- Plan your lesson.
- Review your syllabus and determine what you will be teaching.
- Lessons may center around a topic, textbook chapters, or an assignment/activity.
- Consider including:
- An introduction to the topic;
- Your explanation about the topic or unit; your classroom notes may be included;
- A list of the tasks a student will complete; i.e. reading, discussion, assignment, etc.
Step 2 – Create an Announcement
Step 3 – Create a Grade Item
Step 4 – Create a Discussion Topic
Step 5 – Create a Written Assignment
Step 6 – Create a Collaborate Session (Option real-time meetings)
Step 7 – Adding a YouTube Video, PowerPoint, Word Doc. or PDF
- How to embed a YouTube video
- How to upload a video to YouTube from your mobile device
- Attaching a file in the announcement area